How much does it cost to remodel a bathroom? Our customers asked this question many times, answer, what do you want? What materials do you want to use? Most people do not know what is available and what the options are; therefore they don’t know what they want so I can not give them an answer.
Are you looking for a permanent solution? Or a quick fix?
All the problems in the bathroom are caused by water, if you cannot control the water you cannot control the problems, you control the water, you control the problems.
When it comes to remodeling a bathroom most homeowners think that there are a million ways you can do, there are only a 5 ways you can remodel a bathroom.
The first question you must answer is how long do you want it to last? Remember, you get what you pay for.
The Most expensive Bathroom is the one you have to do over and over again!!!!!!
5 Ways to Remodel a Bathroom
The first three solutions are a quick fix.
1. The first option is to re-glaze, painting over, usually done for tubs; I have seen it on tiles as well. The tub cost $400-$600, walls are about the same.
Most companies will give a 3- 5year warranty, but if you leave anything that is wet, like a shampoo bottle or wet towel, it will crack, chip and peel sooner, it can last from 3 months to 3 years. New tubs are baked after painting, this cannot be done in the house.
2. Wall system only, vinyl walls from the home center, cost $400-$800, if you do it yourself it will cost you nothing, if you hire a contractor it will be double the cost. It is adhered with liquid nail. Liquid nail dry’s after a period of time, it cracks, pull away from the wall. It can last 1-3 years. Hiring a contractor will cost approximately $800-$1,200.00
3. Fiberglass costs to purchase from $1,200- $2,000, 1 pc tub and wall, this is still a porous material, it has a jell-coat on it, it will wear away in about 3-5years. Ounce it wears away it will expose the nooks and crannies in the fiberglass, and when that dirt gets inside, it will become difficult to clean. It cannot be installed in most homes due to existing framing; generally they are installed in new homes before the walls are framed. First remove existing tiles, tub. To install a fiberglass unit you must remove everything including sheet rock, this unit installs into the wall studs. You need a plumber to install drain and valve, after installation the walls need to be repaired. The total time to install is 3-4 days, the warranty on the fiberglass is 1year, from the contractor none. Total cost with a contractor approximately $4,500.00. This will last approximately 5-7 years.
4. Total Remodel in Tile, this is the traditional way of remodeling. Update an existing 9-by-6-foot bathroom. Replace all fixtures to include 30-by-60-inch porcelain-on-steel tub with 4×4-inch ceramic tile surround; new single-lever temperature and pressure-balanced shower control; standard white toilet; solid-surface vanity counter with integral sink; recessed medicine cabinet with light; ceramic tile floor; vinyl wallpaper. Tile is a good material, the problem is not the tile it is the grout. The grout is sand and cement, it is porous, water will penetrate it sooner or later. This will take up to 2 weeks, According to Remodel Magazine Mid-Range in 2007 cost is $16, 83.00, will generally last 7-10 years
Ask your tile contractor how long is the warranty? If he is a good contractor he will give you about 1- year, for labor, no warranty on tile, that’s it!
Permanent Solution- do it right the first time and Never do it Again.
Acrylic will control the water, because it is non-porous material, water will not penetrate it, mold and mildew will not grow on it., easy to clean and maintain.
5. Luxury Bath acrylic tub, this is the only material that is non-porous, the wall and tub system comes with a lifetime warranty, you will never do it again, starts with a 4 layer acrylic and Microban protection.Costs less than the total remodeling, from 1/3 to 1/2 of the traditional remodeling. Price will depends how much work needs to be done before we can put up the system, colors and styles you choose from. The estimate is free of charge, we will measure, and you pick and choose, than we will give you a quote.